Saturday, November 18th: “Raise the Roof”
- 7:00 pm
- Indian Hills Junior High Auditorium
- 9401 Indian Hills Dr., Clive, IA. Click for map and directions.
- Film provided by The National Center for Jewish Film, www.jewishfilm.org
- Artists Rick & Laura Brown, leading a team of 300 artisans and students using period hand tools, reconstructed one of the magnificent, mural-covered wooden synagogues of 18th-century Poland, the last of which were destroyed by the Nazis. The show-stopping building is now the centerpiece of the new Museum of the History of Polish Jews in Warsaw.
Upcoming Future Film & Discussion Series Dates
Saturday, January 13th: “Ahead of Time: the Extraordinary Journey of Ruth Gruber”
- 7:00 pm at The Caspe Terrace, 33158 Ute Ave., Waukee, IA
- For seven decades foreign correspondent and photojournalist Ruth Gruber didn’t just report the news — she made it! Born in 1911 to Russian immigrants, Gruber reported from the Soviet Arctic, escorted Holocaust refugees on a secret wartime mission, and changed the world with dispatches from the Palestine-bound ship Exodus in 1947.
Saturday, February 10th: “American Matchmaker”
- 7:00 pm at Indian Hills Junior High Auditorium, 9401 Indian Hills Dr., Clive, IA
- Leo Fuchs, the “Yiddish Fred Astaire,” stars in the musical comedy as Nat Silver, a debonair and wealthy Jewish American businessman whose recent engagement (his eighth) goes awry. Director Edgar G. Ulmer’s last Yiddish movie was also his most modern, an art deco romantic comedy about male ambivalence and Jewish assimilation.
Sunday, March 11th: Carvalho’s Journey
- 2:00 pm at the Community Room Learning Resource Center, West Des Moines Schools, 3550 Mills Civic Parkway, West Des Moines
- A real life 19th-century American western adventure story, Carvalho’s Journey tells the extraordinary story of Solomon Nunes Carvalho (1815-1897), an observant Shephardic Jew born in Charleston, SC, and his life as a groundbreaking explorer and artist. The film interweaves stunning HD digital and 16mm film landscape cinematography, rare 19th century photographs and artwork, Carvalho’s own surviving paintings and daguerrotypes, and interviews with scholars and artists.
Sunday, April 8th: Expulsion and Memory
- 2:00 pm at Indian Hills Junior High Auditorium, 9401 Indian Hills Dr., Clive, IA
- This documentary traces the descendants of Spanish Jews who were forced to either flee or convert to Catholicism after Queen Isabella’s edict of 1492. Many of these Jews had to practice their religion in secret, passing their furtively-recalled customs down through the generations.